Central Reform Temple was founded as Boston Jewish Spirit in June 2004. Today, we are a diverse group of people committed to fulfilling the mission of our spiritual home.
Central Reform Temple is a house of prayer for all people, worshipping in the progressive traditions of Reform Judaism, as we nurture spirituality and learning, and work for justice and peace in our community and the world.
- Our values and our worship reflect a commitment to the ideals embraced by the Classical Reform tradition – the historic, liberal expression of Reform Judaism in America.
- We welcome all who are seeking to experience Judaism’s universal spiritual ideals and traditions, regardless of religious background, with a special outreach to interfaith families and the LGBTQ community.
- We strive to respond to the mandate of our Hebrew Prophets through our service to others, and our commitment to interfaith understanding, fostered by our residence and partnership with Emmanuel Episcopal Church.
- We gather in worship that is accessible and embracing of our different spiritual paths, rooted in Jewish tradition and enriched with prayer, music and teaching.
- We seek to explore the insights of our Jewish tradition as we experience life’s joys and challenges, deepening our ties to our families, friends and community.
Our congregation welcomes all who are seeking to experience Judaism’s universal spiritual ideals regardless of religious background, with a special outreach to interfaith families and the LGBT community. Our members come from the entire Boston area, both the nearby neighborhoods of Back Bay and the South End, as well as many suburban communities.
Our worship, conducted primarily in English, is accessible and embraces our many different spiritual paths. Hebrew texts and traditional melodies are integrated with contemporary readings and music, inviting active participation. Our rabbinic teaching focuses on sharing Jewish values as we confront the challenges of life and the issues of our society.
As you experience and explore Central Reform Temple, you will learn how we are striving to apply the insights of our faith as we face life’s joys and trials; strengthen our ties to our families, friends, and our broader community; and deepen our commitment to interfaith understanding, justice and peace.